Sunday, December 6, 2009

... the years are flying by ...


I recall listening to mothers, before I had children of my own, telling me that their babies were all grown up.  I would think to myself, "they are two!"  I now find myself in their shoes.


It seems like just yesterday when Jacob and I were making that anxious trip from our little home on Hill AFB, out to McKay-Dee Hospital to deliver Owen.  Never could I imagine that so many memories could have been created in a few nights at the cozy hospital.  The first time the nurses took him from us Jacob looked at me and said "I already can't imagine living without him".  Truly a bundle of joy...
newborn Owen
We celebrated Owen's first Birthday in California, with a smaller celebration back in Utah. Owen was fortunate that his grandparents, great grandmother, Auntie Zoe, Uncle Lee, and cousin Tyler were all with him on his special day. We were already expecting Danica when Owen turned one. It's possible that we didn't feel the same teeny tiny bit of sadness on Owen's birthdays, knowing that our "baby" was still a bun in the oven.
Owen's 1st birthday
With a handsome one year old boy at home with our great friend Lydia, Jacob and I 
made that trip to McKay-Dee. 
This time we had my mum traveling with us, probably more anxious than we were. On
that cold winter day... our gorgeous little girl came into this world. Our baby girl, Danica.
Photobucket
Just two short week later, we embarked on a long voyage across the final frontier (Wyoming)
and found our new little home at Ellsworth, AFB. Here we celebrated Owen's 2nd birthday,
amidst a flood! Due
to the weather conditions, we had celebrated at home, just the four of us.
Photobucket
Danica's first birthday followed suit. However, her
birthday's have always been a little bitter sweet. Our baby, growing up! No more rocking her to sleep,
no more bottles, no more counting months (good thing for me!).
Photobucket
Then we got brave, a little too brave. Three year old party at Chuck E. Cheese. We overestimated
ourselves! Owen had a blast, no matter how many marbles Jacob and I lost that day. It was worth the
madness. Our little man, on his way into the big boy room at the CDC! ABCs, 123s, all a piece of cake for Mr. Owen.  
No more diapers, dressing himself, cleaning up after himself, 
reminding us when it was bath time... his own little person!
Photobucket
...So here we are. Just yesterday our baby girl had her 2nd birthday party. We decided on a little
Princess tea party at home, went off without a hitch. All the little girls had a fabulous time. The
morning of our little girls birthday, we woke up singing the birthday song... happy as could be. Although,
somewhere in my aching heart... I could hear a little mother's cry. My baby, TWO. She's no longer our baby, 
she's her own little person... with her sassy attitude and her love for 
shoes! 
My how time flies...
Photobucket


2 comments:

  1. It is a heartbreaking thing, isn't it? I couldn't help but get all teary eyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I can't believe she is TWO Winnie. I know it's only two, but she is my baby. she'll be out of diapers soon. I know that's a GREAT thing, but what am I going to do then!? lol.

    ReplyDelete